For Therapeutic Bodywork
Before receiving a massage, please keep the following suggestions in mind:
Prior to your session, it is best not to eat any large or heavy meals, sugar, caffeine, alcohol or other stimulants.
Once the online Booking has been completed you will automatically be emailed an online medical form, this is for first time guest. Please fill out the online medical form as soon as possible. Certain medical information is required prior to your session.
Please inform the therapist if you are pregnant, or if you have any illnesses, injuries or medical conditions of which we should be aware of. As beneficial as massage can be for healthy living certain medical conditions are a contraindication and massage should not be applied during these conditions. However, if there is a written doctors instructions allowing massage then we look forward in helping you improve quality of life.
What are the contraindications to Massage Treatment?
Massage treatment is non-invasive, relaxing and natural. It is therefore generally considered a safe treatment for most people.
Does a contraindication mean that treatment cannot take place?
Not always. In fact, massage can be very therapeutic for many medical conditions. However, in the below cases it is best to have advice from your physician. Massage therapists, unless they are also qualified doctors, may not, under law, attempt to diagnose a condition.
There are three types of contraindications:
- TOTAL: When massage should not be performed at all.
- LOCAL: When massage can be performed but not over the contraindicated areas.
- MEDICAL: When massage can only be performed once medical permission has been granted.
When you have any of these conditions, please do not book a massage:
- Contagious diseases, including any cold or flu, no matter how mild it may seem
- Under the influence of drugs or alcohol-including prescription pain medication taken within three hours of massage. Before or after the massage.
- Recent operations or acute injuries
- Skin diseases
The therapist can massage but not over any areas affected by:
- Varicose veins
- Undiagnosed lumps or bumps
- Pregnancy within the first trimester
- Undiagnosed pain
- Inflammation, including arthritis
If you suffer from any of the following conditions, massage can only take place once it has been approved before your session in writing by your Physician.
- Cardio-vascular conditions (thrombosis, phlebitis, hypertension, heart conditions)
- Any condition already being treated by a medical practitioner
- Psoriasis or eczema
- High blood pressure
- Nervous or psychotic conditions
- Heart problems, angina, those with pacemakers
- Bell’s palsy, trapped or pinched nerves
- Gynecological infections
If you have further questions or concerns, please contact us for more information.